Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Mike & Steph's Wedding

[Edited post: General cleanup.]

Saturday morning dawned clear and bright. No rain on this wedding, day, Alanis! I quickly donned the Must Uncomfortable Tuxedo Ever (tm) and jumped my ride to the church. Despite my worries, everything went off without a hitch. On our way out and down the aisle, I spotted a number of friends I wasn't even sure would have made it... Louis and Noriko, Eldon, Wade and Katie, and so on. Don't get me wrong, I was happy about everyone that made it, but some of these people I had not visited for months or years.

At the reception, once the bouquet toss, garter toss, and dollar dances got going, the party really picked up, even though were about an hour "ahead" of schedule, as it were. No problem with me, says I! At the announcement that the last three dances were on deck, the floor flooded with people. It was a strange party and went by so fast I was in a constant daze, but in the end it was all good!

Steph's hair was just incredible. You had to see it. And that was all her real hair, too, not some sort of extension. She had plenty for the stylist to utilize. This was the big payoff from Steph believing in me when I told her that women look best with very long hair. I concede that the women who chop their hair short may be enjoying some measure of convenience, but I maintain that it makes them look like they don't care about being beautiful. And if they look that way, what does that say about their husbands? It's not a universal rule, but where it applies, it really applies.

Steph's stepfather, Tom, stood in for her departed father and gave her away at the wedding. I could tell this meant a lot to both of them and I was glad to be a part of that. For Steph, it was the culmination of a lifetime of waiting for her turn to have that happen, and for Tom, who has sons but never had a daughter and for whom Steph was his only stepdaughter as well, it was one of those moments that dads hope they'll be lucky enough to enjoy.

My grandmother showed up wearing a seventy-five-year-old coat, the likes of which you just never see anymore... coupled with the rest of her similarly venerable ensemble, it was like having royalty at the wedding. A photograph just doesn't tell the story. You had to see her in person to understand the full effect. Plus, I'm pretty sure that coat was once a woodland animal of some sort.

Jay and Steve arrived in pimp threads the likes of which I imagine they might wear at the final table of a large televised poker tournament. Complete with ties matching the pocket handkerchief. I'm not sure which surprised me more: seeing them in full slick mode or seeing John wearing clothing that did not include khaki shorts.

Aaron was amazingly diligent about getting wedding greetings on camera from virtually everyone as he circulated about the room with my mini-DV in hand. One of my projects for later this year, once I've grabbed a new home computer which will likely be a Mac, is to combine this with the thousands of photos and the miniDV taken by some of the other attendees into a single wedding DVD to send to everyone who came to the event, with my compliments.

And that's the least I can do, considering how overwhelmingly generous everybody was. Stephanie and I were picking our jaws up off the floor upon opening all our gifts and cards... it was nothing short of amazing. We were stunned and humbled.

In the end, it was the kind of wedding we had hoped to have, with the kind of people we had hoped to share it with. Thank you all for being a part of it.

3 comments:

  1. I WANNA PLAY!!! I WANNA PLAY!!!

    A couple comments based on your post:

    1. You are right...REAL men do not rush to a dancefloor. Your circumstance was different, so you are excused from that rule.

    2. Steph's hair did indeed look very nice, and I also agree with the notion that long hair on women is always (no exceptions) better than short. I am fortunate to have a wife that agrees.

    3. I am glad your family felt I was being diligent with that camera. Part of me feels like I may not have gotten enough. I did get the bulk of your respective families as well as friends.

    4. I had steak and chicken combo fajitas. That was the way to go.

    Anyway, thank you again for including me in your wedding. It was very much my pleasure to film it. Aside from seeing two good friends marry, I really enjoyed your families. As the videographer, I was in the unique position to experience first hand the love and support you two get from them.

    Anyway, I thought it would be prudent to share that tidbit of information.

    I will see you Friday night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool. You really saved the day on several counts, bro. I can't wait to get those tapes and see how things turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was a blast. Can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete